Purging is something I always enjoy. It’s a great feeling to rid your house of things you don’t use or need. Our team and I have heard almost every excuse people use for not taking the time to purge. We’ve heard each one, dozens of times! Do any of these excuses sound familiar?
- I paid good money for it.
- I might need it someday.
- Someone gave that to me as a gift.
- My family member left me that item in their will.
The bottom line is, if you don’t use, need or love an item, it doesn’t belong in your home! Our home should be our sanctuary, a place where we can relax and re-charge from the outside world. But for many people, their home is cluttered and overwhelming.
Here are some spaces in your home that may be ready for purging.
- Kitchen – Some areas of the kitchen that often need purging are the refrigerator, freezer, pantry, cabinets and drawers. If you haven’t used an item in a year, chances are you never will. Better to have organized areas where things are easy to find, then to have cluttered spaces that prevent you from quickly finding what you need which could stop you from making healthy meals. If you have food items that are not expired but you won’t use, please donate them to Feed Our Vets or a similar organization in your community.
- Bedroom – Studies have shown that people sleep better in a bedroom that is not cluttered. So, if you want to have a better night’s sleep, start decluttering! The closet is another area where most people can downsize. Many of us currently have three different sizes of clothing in our closet. It’s better to have only items that fit and flatter your figure NOW in your closet, as it makes it much easier to decide what to wear. Plus, clothing in good condition, is a perfect item to donate.
- Garage – In many homes, this area can become a dumping ground. We have several months (if we’re lucky!) before the snow hits again. So, make this the year you’ll clean out the garage, so you can finally get your car in from the wintery weather. If you have old metal tools or other items in the garage that can be recycled that you want to get rid of, visit Empire Recycling. They give you cash on the spot for those unwanted items!